Tuesday, September 1, 2015

First Day, First Week....Homeschooling through a Move: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Well, we did it! Dove into our first day of school for 2015-2016!






It's hard for me to fathom that I'm now beginning our 22nd year of homeschooling!  I'm sitting here shaking my head in wonder at all the years that have passed.


I'm glad that I've learned to take things slowly the first week or two. Yes, Sonlight has everything broken up and every day assigned so that the work is spread over 36 weeks, but I've come to see that I don't have to be a slave of that schedule. Life's a bit crazy around here anyway, what with our impending move. We're shoving boxes aside and figuring out that there is this item or that which I suddenly can't find. I could let this make me crazy...


...but we'll just go with the flow, and relax. Because there will be days when we're on a roll and extra chapters will get read, an extra worksheet will get completed. And on days like today when I made the executive decision we'd wait to do math and science another day, what did my daughter choose to do while I took an afternoon nap (I work a late evening shift and so am typically up past midnight)?  She chose on her own to watch both Sonlight's Mathtacular and Discover and Do DVDs!






Until we get moved into our new home later this month, I know it's just going to be a good thing to keep a school routine going, even if not everything gets checked off. We'll get it done eventually...if not all of it, most of it.  This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. We have an entire school year to get it all done. So today we had fun, we read together on the couch, learned some grammar and enjoyed some art and poetry, and called it Day One.



By the way, the sign my daughter is holding is a freebie created by Jamielyn over at her blog, I Heart Naptime.



Now, if you forgot about "first day" pictures, or just couldn't be bothered, here's a fun idea from Mari, Second  (or 5th...or 10th...) day of school pictures!

No comments: